We all need help sometimes, either for ourselves or for people we care about. 

Below is a list of the main helplines and support groups available to residents in Burnham..  If you know of any groups we have missed, please contact us and we will add it

Helplines are for non-emergency situations. If anyone’s life is in danger always call 999

NHS Covid help website

  • The official NHS site with details of how to recognise Covid, how to get tested and what to do
  • Links to other official websites across government

NHS YourCovidRecovery website

  • Information and help for anyone either recovering from Covid or supporting relatives or friends during their recovery
  • Details about what to expect and how long symptoms are expected to last

Chartered Society of Physiotherapy

  • Covid 19 – the road to recovery 
  • Help to manage breathlessness and fatigue during and after recovery

Recovery after Covid

  • Printable PDF guide to managing physical symptoms of
    breathlessness, fatigue, anxiety,
    swallow changes, eating and drinking 
  • Created by Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Hospital

24/7 Mental Health Helpline for Buckinghamshire & Oxfordshire:

  • The round-the-clock helpline for people in Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire to get the advice they need for their mental health and emotional well-being.
  • The helpline adds to the range of ways people can get support locally including Safe Havens which continue to offer an alternative to A&E for mental health care in the evenings and at weekends during the Covid outbreak
  • The Buckinghamshire & Oxfordshire Mental Health Helpline is being launched by Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust, which runs local mental health services

Adults: 01865 904997
Children and young people: 01865 904998

Healthy Minds Bucks

  • Another free NHS based service, for anyone wanting to self-refer to get access to mental health support and services.
  • The site explains the different support options available to help select the most appropriate therapy
  • To self-refer click here or telephone 01865-901-600
  • Alternatively, your GP can referral
  • CAMHS provide physical, mental health and social care for people of all ages. CAMHS is made up of doctors, nurses and other medical staff trained to help children, young people and their families who are experiencing mental health difficulties
  • For younger people facing anxiety and stress due to Covid , CAMHS have a dedicated website with videos and self-help advice
  • To get more support you can self refer using this link or telephone 01865 901 951

Burnham Health Centre

  • If you are unsure which NHS service is best for you, or are unsure if support can help, please speak to your GP.  
  • For anyone registered with Burham Health Centre, their phone number is 01628 666326
  • Anyone can contact the Samaritans helpline from any phone.  The phone number is 116 123 and your phone number is not visible to the person you speak to
  • If you are not comfortable talking to someone, you can contact them via email  Your email address is removed by their system before it is sent to one of their volunteers who will normally respond to you within 24 hours.   Emails are kept in their software for 30 days so that if email them again, they can continue the conversation.  After 30 days, all emails are automatically deleted from the software.

Cruse Bereavement Care:

  • Cruse offers telephone, email and website support for anyone who is needs mental health support following the death of a friend or loved one.
  • For younger people struggling with bereavement Cruse have a dedicated website:
  • Cruse services are provided free of charge by a network of 5,000 trained volunteers
  • To speak to someone and get support telephone 0808 808 1677


  • Mind is a charity that provides advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem.
  • Mind do not have their own mental helpline for anyone in crisis, but have a list of many different support organisations that can provide help in different situations – see their helpline list
  • If you want to know more about the support available, visit their website or telephone 0300 123 3393

Buddy Up:

  • Run by Burnham Resilience, the buddy up scheme offers friendly phone call service to help combat loneliness.
  • To request a buddy to call you, or to offer to call someone else, fill in the form here, or contact Paula Prince on: 07703 306607

The Mix:

  • The Mix is the UK’s leading support service for young people, providing support in many areas, from mental health to money, from homelessness to finding a job, from break-ups to drugs.
  • Young people can talk to advisers and people in similar situations through phone, email, chat or whatever they feel most comfortable using
  • The Mix provide a free, confidential helpline and  counselling service.
  • To find out more and get support visit their support website or call 0808 808 4994

Anxiety UK:

  • Anxiety UK is a charity that helps anyone affected by anxiety disorders. It is run by sufferers and ex-sufferers of anxiety disorders and claims to be the largest national charity dealing with anxiety in the UK.
  • To get support or become a member of Anxiety UK Phone: 03444 775 774 or visit their website
  • Charity membership costs £40 per year and includes a year’s subscription to one of the leading meditation apps (headspace) worth £72 and a host of other benefits

Bipolar UK:

  • A charity helping people living with manic depression or bipolar disorder.
  • Bipolar facilitate over 85 peer support groups for people affected by bipolar, facilitated by trained and supported volunteers – during Covid-19 these are being temporarily replaced by Zoom groups
  • Bipolar run a moderated eCommunity with over 5,000 active users
  • Bipolar also offer One-to-one peer support provided by telephone and email

Mental Health Foundation:

  • Provides information and support for anyone with mental health problems or learning disabilities. Website:

No Panic:

  • No Panic is a registered charity which helps people who suffer from Panic Attacks, Phobias, Obsessive Compulsive Disorders and other related anxiety disorders including those people who are trying to give up Tranquillisers.  No Panic also provides support for the carers of people who suffer from anxiety disorders
  • No Panic specialises in self-help recovery including providing people with the skills they need to manage their condition and work towards recovery, enabling them to lead more fulfilled lives
  • No Panic support is mainly restricted to members, however membership is only £25 a year.  Members get access to the Telephone Support services including one-to-one mentoring and recovery groups
  • Website:

Rethink Mental Illness:

  • Rethink aim to improve the lives of people severely affected by mental illness through their network of local groups and services, expert information and successful campaigning.
  • To contact Rethink call their telephone line: 0300 5000 927 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm) or visit their website:


  • SANE provides emotional support, guidance and information to anyone affected by mental illness, including families, friends and carers
  • During Covid anyone needing help can leave an answerphone message on 07984 967 708 or email and a professional or senior volunteers will call back as soon as possible
  • To register for Textcare (a text based support service) register via the dedicated web page

Care & Share

  • May’s Chocolate House, in partnership with Burnham Health Promotion Trust and St Peter’s Church run Burnham’s ‘Care & Share’ food distribution project.
  • The ‘Care & Share’ operates from May’s Chocolate House in Burnham High Street and provides a community space to supply food provision to those who need help.
  • Anyone needing a food share voucher can obtain one by calling BHPT on 07483 326525, St Peter’s Church on 07856 047960 or by calling in to Cornerstone at St Peter’s Church. Lent Rise School or Lynch Hill Primary School can providing vouchers for families with children at those schools if required.
  • To request a foodshare voucher will be asked a few questions relating to your need and all information is kept confidential. Clients then receive a voucher or code, which will enable them to collect pre-filled food bags from May’s Chocolate House on Tuesdays or Fridays between 2pm-4pm.
  • The voucher can also be used for fresh fresh fruit & veg at Squirrels Health Shop, also on Burnham High Street.

Burnham Health Promotion Trust (BHPT):

  • BHPT help the residents of Burnham lead healthier and happier lives, be more active, and support the learning and enriching the lives of the residents (old and young!) whilst promoting fun and healthy habits.
  • BHPT is based in the Burnham Health Centre, Minniecroft Road, Burnham
  • BHPT can offer immediate support in the form of  Foodbank and Foodshare vouchers.  For help please telephone 07483 326525.
  • During Covid BHPT is partnering with Burnahm Resilience who can assist with deliveries to anyone who is shielding or self isolating.

One Recovery Bucks:

  • One Recovery offer support and guidance relating to drug and alcohol issues and support to families.  They have online resources and referrals available.
  • Visit their website or telephone 0300 772 9672

Carers Bucks:

  • Carers Bucks supports the health and well-being of unpaid carers and supports unpaid carers of all ages and in different caring roles. These caring roles include young carers, young adult carers, parents of children with a physical or learning disability, older carers, carers from the black and minority ethnic community and those looking after someone with a mental health condition.
  • All carers contacting Carers Bucks are able to speak to an experienced Support Worker in confidence, either over the telephone (0300 777 2722), registering online here or by visiting our offices (please ring us first to make an appointment).
  • Carers Bucks also provides a number of free services for the benefit of carers in Buckinghamshire, including a Caring for Older Carers (75+) service, young adult carers support and a Carers Lounge at Stoke Mandeville Hospital.

Buckinghamshire Housing Support Service (P3)

  • This county-wide floating support service is for people who need support to manage and maintain their accommodation if it is at risk.
  • P3 aim to provide the right support, at the right time, and in the right place, in order to prevent homelessness, and help you work towards independence.
  • P3 can offer a bespoke package of support for up to 6 months, centred around you and your life, to tackle the reasons you are struggling to maintain your property
  • To contact P3 with housing related issues please visit their website, or call their freephone number on 0808 164 1810

DASH Domestic Abuse Charity:

  • As a charity, DASH works within a framework that acknowledges the gendered nature of domestic abuse and addresses root cause issues of violence against women, which are embedded in the historical and cultural unequal status of women in society.

  • DASH is a commitment to help each victim explore and understand their experiences and the effects upon them and their children, build upon identified skills and strengths with a view to build their resilience, confidence and self esteem.

  • DASH supports all those within our community affected by Domestic Abuse by delivering a range of specialist services that will break the cycle of abuse enabling individuals and families to thrive.

  • Anyone needing support can call the DASH helpline 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday on 01753 549 865.  Support can also be requested via their online form here.
  • If you or anyone you know is in immediate danger please call the police using 999. 

Refuge (the national domestic abuse hotline):

  • Refuge opened the world’s first safe house for women and children escaping domestic violence in Chiswick, West London, in 1971. Since then women and children have flocked to their doors because, for the first time, someone was saying it was wrong to beat your partner. Back then, domestic violence was seen as a “private matter”, to be dealt with “behind closed doors”. Society turned a blind eye.

  • Since 1971, Refuge has led the campaign against domestic violence and is now the country’s UK’s single provider of specialist domestic and gender-based violence services supporting over 6,000 women and children on any given day.

  • Refuge operate the national domestic abuse hotline.  The hotline is a freephone number 0808 2000 247 and operates 24 hours a day, 265 days of the year.  Anyone who cannot call, can contact the helpine through their online portal or webchat

  • The hotline is run by a team of highly-trained, female advisers. They will not judge you or tell you what to do. Everything said on the hotline is treated in confidence
  • The helpline can assist with finding a temporary place of safety, assist with finding a refuge or help gain access to other specialist services.
  • The hotline have staff who speak many different languages,


  • ChildLine is provided by the NSPCC and offers support, explanations and counselling for children and young people.  
  • Young people can contact childline and talk about anything that concerns them
  • Calls to the childline helpline will not show up on phone bills but may appear in call histories unless these are wiped
  • The easiest way to contact ChildLine is to phone 0800 1111.  If this is not possible, you can log in and then email or use webchat via a secure account.  To signup click this link or google childline registration


  • Young Minds understands that social media, being with friends and family, or going to university, the things we things we do every day can impact our mental health, and is there to help with tips, advice and support
  • To get help in a crisis, text YM to 85258.  Texts are answered by trained volunteers, with support from experienced clinical supervisor.  Texts are free from EE, O2, Vodafone, 3, Virgin Mobile, BT Mobile, GiffGaff, Tesco Mobile and Telecom Plus
  • Young Minds can also offer help and advice for for parents and professionals.
  • Young Minds also provide a Parents’ helpline 0808 802 5544 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm) 


  • Papyrus is the young suicide prevention society, supporting anyone under 35 years of age who is experiencing thoughts of suicide, or anyone concerned for a young person they believe is thinking about suicide
  • To ask for support, call 0800 068 4141, text 07860 039967 or email
  • Advisers are at the end of the phone or email 9am – 10pm weekdays, 2pm – 10pm weekends, 2pm – 10pm bank holidays

The Mix:

  • The Mix is the UK’s leading support service for young people, providing support in many areas, from mental health to money, from homelessness to finding a job, from break-ups to drugs.
  • Young people can talk to advisers and people in similar situations through phone, email, chat or whatever they feel most comfortable using
  • The Mix provide a free, confidential helpline and  counselling service.
  • To find out more and get support visit their support website or call 0808 808 4994

Citizens Advice

  • Citizens Advice is the UK’s largest charity providing confidential expert advice and support on benefits, work issues, debt, consumer issues, housing issues, family issues, law and the courts, immigration issues and health issues
  • The advice provided by Citizens Advice is free and available to everyone
  • Citizens Advice also help with consumer issues through their consumer hotline, assist witnesses in the courts through the witness service and give free pension guidance to people over 50
  • In Burnham, the local advisor is still offering telephone appointments each Wednesday. If you wish to make an appointment, please telephone 01494 791391 or you can visit their website here for more information.

Prevention Matters:

  • Prevention Matters supports people over the age of 18 to maintain or regain their independence and confidence
  • Prevention Matters can help if you are struggling to remain independent in your own house, having difficulty getting out and about, feel lonely and isolated, feel anxious or lacking confidence or are recovering from an illness
  • To request help, visit their website or telephone them on 01494 459871

Money Advice Service (MARS):

  • MARS provides free and impartial money advice and was set up by government
  • Some websites may report that the site is unsafe because the certificate has expired, this is a temporary issue
  • MARS can provide advice on coping and recovering from debt,  how to budget and also give advice on how to find the right mortgage or pension adviser.  MARS will not recommend any specific advisers, but will help you understand what to look out for and how to find the most appropriate adviser for your specific needs
  • To contact MARS you can visit their website that offers a webchat service, call their freephone number (0800 138 7777), call their typetalkapp chat (via  number (18001 0800 915 4622), 
  • If you only need help with debt, credit or pensions you can also contact them via WhatsApp on 07701 342744
  • MARS also maintains a list of local debt support agencies, click here for details.